What Feelings Sound Like | A Blog By Beatwize: Nefarious!: Time to Shine [WFSL Interview]

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Nefarious!: Time to Shine [WFSL Interview]


So now you've heard of Nefarious!, heard his songs, and gotten to know him a little better. But there's still so much you don't know about the kid. He's talented, intelligent, and definitely has a bright future. Hell, he's been featured on more than 4 sites this week! Keep an eye on the name, you'll definitely hear a lot of it soon. Here's my chance to let you learn more about my boy Nef. Check it out!

Beatwize:
What's good Nefarious! Let's start with a quick bio of you..
Nefarious!: My name is Nefarious! from Hayward, California. I'm 18 years old and one of many Bay Area beat makers representing the new generation of producers. I enjoy long walks on the beach and...

Beatwize: Lmao, yea good place to stop. Tell us about you're newest album "More Than Music" and what went behind it? (inspirations, people etc.)
Nefarious!: I was inspired to make More Than Music by people that dont understand that music is very serious to some of us. Especially beats to me. Someone who isn't a producer might see a beat as just a beat and wonder where the rapping is, and others appreciate it for what it is. So this album was for those people.

Beatwize:
It seems that it has given you some great exposure, you've been getting features left and right. How does it feel to get this sudden rise in recognition?
Nefarious!: It feels good, like people are finally getting onto my shit. If no one hears your music it doesn't matter if it sounds good or not because you are just another tree falling in the forrest. Before I knew how much blogs make a difference I used to drop everything just on MySpace, but making connections with blogs and shit increased the download numbers drastically.

Beatwize:
You run with a crew by the name of "Cosmic Souls Collective". How did you guys meet and how did this group come together?
Nefarious!: We basically met on the internet, know:juander sent me songs to post on my site The Soul Dojo and I liked it. Me and Juno Complex go way back to when I was still making beats on FL Studio, and Time Travel is just dope... Actually it probably didn't even go down like that. But somehow we just all decided to make a production collective.

Beatwize:
Are you guys in constant competition or do you guys just appreciate each others music and success as a group?
Nefarious!: We all help promote each others music and respect what we make. I guess we all are in competition because no one wants to have the weakest beat on the beat tape or myspace or whatever. We all keep each other in check because with everyone trying to outdo each other, we will all improve.


Beatwize:
Who do you like to work with at the moment? Who would you like to work with in the future?
Nefarious!: I like working with Amor Jones because our styles go great together. That dude be beggin me for beats callin me crying and shit *laughs*. In the future I'd like to work with more producers and maybe some already-established emcees.

Beatwize:
You seem to have a very long catalogue. What beat that you've made is you're favorite?
Nefarious!: Man, I have a new favorite beat of mine every day. Right now it would probably be Take My Love which was also the single for More Than Music.

Beatwize:
What new projects are you helping out with? It seems a lot of people are looking for that Nefarious! seal nowadays.
Nefarious!: Right now I will be dropping a project with Kris Kasanova hosted by MTRoots thanks to KNOWxONE from ManifestTheRhyme.com Hallway Jay at illRoots.com. I also am going to have production on Amor Jones's next 2 projects, and my album The Soul Dojo that seems like it will never be finished.

Beatwize: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Nefarious!: Hopefully making a living with music. I'd be happier just getting by with a job I love than be rich and bored and shit. Taking a big chance with music right now. Ain't no Plan-B on some Tanya Morgan shit.
Beatwize: You've mentioned in the past that you used to rap? What made you stop? Will you be coming back to it anytime soon?
Nefarious!: I stopped because I wasn't really good (laughs). I took up producing full time and got better at producing than I was rapping. I do plan on making a come back, but don't expect to hear anything too soon.

Beatwize: Who's you're favorite producer? Why?
Nefarious!: J Dilla would be my favorite producer because he has made beats that are just IMPOSSIBLE to remake. I could remake a Pete Rock or 9th Wonder beat with ease, not saying they aren't dope. But listen to the sample to A Tribe Called Quest's "Find A Way" or Black Star's "Little Brother" and see what I'm talking about. Madlib is my favorite producer alive because he also composes if you are familiar with Yesterday's New Quintet. Shit's dope.

Beatwize:
Thanks for your time and looking forward to more work from you!
Nefarious!: No problem man. New music soon! Be on the look out!

0 comments: