What Feelings Sound Like | A Blog By Beatwize: Artist of the Week: Coldplay

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Artist of the Week: Coldplay

So I changed my mind about AOTW this week. Originally I didn't want to give an up-and-coming artist the disadvantage of a smaller week for a feature, but then I decided that I really don't need to make it an independent artist. I chose an artist that can spare the one-day loss. This band is Coldplay. But the main reason is because I'm going to their concert on Thursday (!!!) and it felt fitting.

They aren't really hip-hop, but they've worked with lyrical giants like Jay-Z and Kanye West and made a mark on this genre like many other bands are doing lately. The internet has given people all over the world to share their music and some of these people began mixing genres. The industry noticed this and began doing the same with original songs. Hip-hop bands and rock bands began collaborating a lot more after this boom of mash-up music. This wasn't the first wave, though; remember Run DMC & Aerosmith? But anyways, back to Coldplay..

I can't even remember the first time I listened to my to-be favorite rock band ever. It was probably "Clocks" or "The Scientist" that got me into them; but I've loved them ever since I can remember. Originally being coined as "Christian Rock", Coldplay began composing new and innovative music and soon lost that tag and became an "Alternative" band. Mixing an abundance of piano and strings along with the usual rock instruments such as guitars and drums, Coldplay's sound can only be described as "harmonic beauty". Deep meanings, intelligent metaphors, and songs that get stuck in your head for days, and not to mention four-time multi-platinum-ers, this band is definitely one of the greatest of all time.



Would you like to be featured as Artist of the Week? Get at me! -- beatwize@gmail.com

0 comments: