What Feelings Sound Like | A Blog By Beatwize: Shad: Passion for Music [WFSL Interview]

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Shad: Passion for Music [WFSL Interview]

Canadian artist, Shad, was recently on his "Warped" tour, where he went to numerous cities across North America to promote the US release of his second album "The Old Prince". He is currently WhatFeelingsSoundLike (WFSL-beatwizemusic.blogspot.com) Artist of the Week. In light of this I, Beatwize, had the honor to have a chat with him.

Beatwize: Hey, Shad! Good to have you here. To start off, tell us a little about yourself.
Shad:
Whattup! I'm a hip hop artist from London, Ontario. I've been fortunate enough to make 2 albums so far: When This is Over which came out in 2005 and The Old Prince in 2007.

Beatwize: You just finished the Warped Tour; how did that go?
Shad: It was a great experience and a great opportunity for us. Big shout to everyone who helped us out along the way!

Beatwize: For sure, I was so disappointed when I had to miss your Toronto show. What's your favorite city to perform in?
Shad: There's some towns in Canada - Guelph, Victoria, Peterborough; always a blast. So far San Fran and Hartford were a lot of fun too.

Beatwize: It must have been a struggle to strive in hip-hop music in a city like London, Ontario. How did you overcome these struggles?
Shad: I wouldn't really call it a struggle. Ever since I started out, the people in my hometown have been behind me which has been great. At the end of the day, getting to do something you enjoy and something that matters to you is such a blessing that you dont think too much about whatever challenges might be around.

Beatwize: Real talk. Your album "The Old Prince" has been acclaimed by pretty much everyone and it's one of my personal favorites as well. What were your inspirations during the making of this album?
Shad: Thanks man - I appreciate that. My main inspiration for that album was/is the daily struggle to be a certain kind of person. A more honest, more compassionate person. That's what the Old Prince is a metaphor for - spending your life in search of that 'quality of character' for lack of a better term.

Beatwize: You definitely did a good job of showing that on the album. It released in USA just a little while back (June 30th). That's a big gap between the Canadian release (October 2007). Does this mean we won't be seeing new Shad tracks for a while?
Shad: I plan on recording again when I get back from tour. Definitely itching to put some new ideas down!

Beatwize: That's great news! In 'I Don't Really Like To' you say "I'm down with that pirate stee..pirate me". Do you think piracy has a positive impact on lesser-known artists? Do you think it's particularly important for Canadian musicians?
Shad: I never thought about that connection. Maybe because we don't sell a lot of albums up here in Canada anyways, we dont care as much! I think overall I'm just looking to get my music out there to as many as might enjoy it.

Beatwize: Are there any Canadian artists you feel have paved the way for you?
Shad: I think theres been canadian hip hop artists going back to Maestro Fresh Wes that opened up Canadian audiences to hip hop music. More recently guys like k-os and Kardinal have been exposing the world to Canadian hip hop. Artists in the indie rock scene too that have changed the global perception of Canadian music recently - arcade fire, broken social scene, etc...

Beatwize: Any Canadian artists you've been wanting to work with?
Shad: Lots. I dont do too many collaborations - mostly just 'cause they're annoying to coordinate - but theres lots of Canadian artists that I love listening to: k-os, Feist, Chad Vangaalen, Shaun Boothe, City and Colour, just to name a few.

Beatwize: I personally would love to hear a Shad/k-os collaboration, and I'm sure most of yours and his fans would too! How about outside of Canada? What artists do you look up to and what artists would like to/would have liked to have worked with?
Shad: I respect Lupe Fiasco's music a lot. Mr J Mederios put out a great album a little while ago too many to name!

Beatwize: Lupe is definitely one of the best out. My favorite tracks from you are probably 'Exile' and 'Voice Like an Angel'. What song of yours do you personally think is your best?
Shad: Thanks! Angel is definitely one that took some time for me to pin down. Off the last album, thats probably the deepest one for me. Tough question...I'd probably go with Angel though 'cause I worked pretty hard on that one.

Beatwize: Anything else you would like to say?
Shad: Thanks for the time and the support! Peace!

You can grab both his albums on iTunes and a music store near you!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

gud stuff... shad is the best canada has to offer and this was a great interview