What Feelings Sound Like | A Blog By Beatwize: CJ the Genesis: The Beginning [WFSL Interview]

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

CJ the Genesis: The Beginning [WFSL Interview]

CJ the Genesis is many things, a lot of them self-proclaimed. Not to say that the things he says aren't true, what he says is what he does. He's an intelligent, focused, hard-working individual who has nothing but a bright future. I usually wouldn't sugar-coat the background, but it's kind of hard not to. It didn't even feel like I was speaking with someone so young. Mature for his age, true to his roots, and eyes on the prize - Genesis can be described as all these and more. WFSL (http://beatwizemusic.blogspot.com) is proud to present another artist that makes the future of hip-hop a hell of a lot brighter.

Beatwize: Watup CJ! Before we start, hit us up with a quick introduction of yourself..
CJ the Genesis: What up Beatwize! Umm..To make a long intro short, I'm an up and coming artist out of the DMV who's trying to bring something new to the game! I rap, produce, a little singing here and there, and I'm very versatile. Thats about it, haha.

Beatwize: Versatile is right - you're 4 mixtapes in now. Do you feel like you've accomplished as much as you think you would have or did you expect more at this point in time?
CJ the Genesis: Honestly, I never thought that I'd have 4 mixtapes out within a year. Maybe 2 and a progressive third, but not 4! And you know, maybe its just my impatience but I did kinda expect more going for me at this point, but things are different now, so I'm trying to adjust for lack of a better word.

Beatwize: Good to hear you're ahead of schedule. You seem to like to switch things up a bit and try different things, so you obviously have numerous inspirations while writing. What are they and where do you inherit them?
CJ the Genesis: Good question! Well, I only really write about what I know and go through, and although its a cliche answer its true. The only time you'll hear me making a song about something that has nothing to do with me is when I'm telling a story, but I grab general inspirations from anything, whether its a TV show, video games, something my parents talked about, something dumb my dogs did outside lol ANYWHERE.

Beatwize: That imagination really shows in the tracks. Being an 18-year-old rapper who's getting decent fanbase must be something you're proud of. What do you expect for yourself in the next few years?
CJ the Genesis: Ahh being labeled 18 is gonna take some getting used to cause my birthday was on Sunday haha but within the next few years I expect to be doing some bigger shows and actually getting paid for it! I also wanna do more mixtapes of course, and then actually put out an album and work with people and all kinds of cool stuff like that. Im about to be a freshman in college (I actually move out tomorrow lol) and I wont be recording on campus, but I'm still going to produce and get my name out there more as a producer. Hopefully some opportunities (and money haha) open up during that time period.

Beatwize: Now, 'Genesis' means 'begining'. I'm assuming your name suggests the start of something?
CJ the Genesis: You know, you're actually the first one to just pick it up off the bat. Yes it does mean that. I am the 'Genesis' to a new era in hip hop. Stop comparing me people lol

Beatwize: That name struck me from the first time I heard it, so I had to find out, haha. What artists do you love to work with? What artists do you hope to work with in the future?
CJ the Genesis: I love to work with anybody with a creative mind. There are only a few specifics in mind such as M-Trey, Criss Chords, Kevin Abstract, The Rezon, Vulcan Vocab who share the same mindstate I have with this music. If I have a track with those 5, its gonna be good. No questions. As far as the future is concerned, I'd love to work with people I meet on campus this year (who are good haha) and some of the dream artists Id love to work with are people like Kanye, Nas, Common, Jay-Z, a lot of those people. But you know, I'm liking this new class of artists too and out of them I'd love to work with Mickey Factz, Asher, Cudi, Curren$y, XV, J. Cole, Big Sean and etcetera etcetera etcetera haha The list goes on with them.

Beatwize: A lot of good names on that list. Tell us what's currently on CJ's playlist.
CJ the Genesis: Pshhhhh...that XV "Everybody's Nobody", Big Sean's "U Know Big Sean Vol. 2" Pac Div "Church League Champions", Kanye's "Late Registration" SLAUGHTERHOUSE of course, and lately Ive been listening to some more Crystal Castles than I usually do haha More electro and techno stuff in general. I NEED that new Calvin Harris CD in my life ASAP lol

Beatwize: Again, great names. You just recently dropped "Yea...I'm A Nerd" and are already hard at work on your next EP. What switch-up can we expect on this project?
CJ the Genesis: Well, this EP is gonna be called, "EuPhoria" and what Im gonna do on that is make songs that make people feel good and euphoric in general. That was my main goal on "Yea, I'm A Nerd" because nostalgia brings a GREAT feeling to people. Artists these days make too many of these emo and depressing songs, and they dont really do too much good for their listeners (at times) Granted, Ive made my share of depressing songs, but whenever I do, I try to give it a better outlook, such as my song "Start Of Something New" which will be on the EP as well. Anyways, this will be happy music in general, and I'm sure that everyone that listens to it will get a good feeling out of it. I promise you that.

Beatwize: Interesting; any other projects other than yours that you'll be participating in?
CJ the Genesis: Me and a friend and producer 5th Element are working on a project titled, "Open Mic" which will comes out Lord knows when. I wouldve been done by now and it would've came out in September, but I had to get ready for that big move. Besides that, I'm only gonna be a production credit on artist's mixtapes. Not so many features without a mic on campus. Im gonna write like crazy up there and record when I get the time, but for now, its only production.

Beatwize: I'm definitely excited for all of that. Thanks for coming in! It was nice speaking with you.
CJ the Genesis: Haha anytime Beatwize!!!

0 comments: