What Feelings Sound Like | A Blog By Beatwize: SLik d: Dreams of Success [WFSL Interview]

Thursday, August 13, 2009

SLik d: Dreams of Success [WFSL Interview]

So for the past few days on WFSL (http://beatwizemusic.blogspot.com), the readers have gotten to know SLik d's music and background pretty well. I'm sure a lot of you really like his style and are looking forward to his tape dropping tomorrow. But there's much more to SLik than the music. He's a young guy reaching for his dreams; someone who sees the struggle and takes it as enjoyment. A striving artist who won't stop until his dreams are fullfilled. In the music, D seems like a pretty cool dude; outside of the music he's pretty much the same. But enough of me talking, see what he is for yourself..


Beatwize: Hey, what's good SLik? Let's start off by introducing yourself to the readers..
SLik d: What up yo, I go by SLik d and I was born in Long Beach,then moved to Carson, California; then out to Las Vegas, Nevada were I now live. I been doing spittin' and beatboxin' since I was a little kid but started taking it really serious once I won my first freestyle battle freshman year at Carson High. Im a fan of the marijuana and proud of it.I think my music shows it a lot. Haha. But besides that, I'm just a guy with a lot of thoughts.

Beatwize: You've been working hard on that "Summer Vibes" tape. How does it feel to be finally done? What can we expect?
SLik d: It feels good to finally put out something for people to listen to. I think of of so many projects and start them but dont finish them, like most people do. But I was extra determined this time because im not a fan of procrastination. The tape is short and sweet so what I'm expecting are reactions to want more. Like eating half of a burger, haha.

Beatwize: Word, I can feel that. What were your main inspirations during the making of the mixtape?
SLik d: Summer man...everyone had memories during summer at least once. And I tryed to mention some of my moments within song.

Beatwize: Who helped you in the making of the tape? Are we going to see any guest appearances on it?
SLik d: Yes..There are plenty of features on this tape. Almost every track now that i think about it. Haha. I did that because during summer your not alone chillin, you're with homies and friends that create the good times with you.So I let my homies hop on the tape to make it even more legit.
Beatwize: That's an interesting concept. Who would you like to work with in the future - reality and dreams? Who is your favorite artist to work with currently?
SLik d: Seeing that I got a vision of what I want my next project to be, I would really like to work with new people. Elaquent is a main one, Bagir is my homie and he always throws heat my way. Many others but thats who im thinking of now. Oh and I cant forget Kanye, I know he has a beat thats perfect for me in his vault. I just need to reach out to him and find it. I really like working with my main man Nefarious! just because we have a good history together from when I started recording and if I ever find something wrong with the track, he will fix it with no problem making the track even more how I visioned it, making him a producer fasho creating a hit song (Ex:Summer Heat).

Beatwize: Where does your name come from?
SLik d: My name was made very randomly, haha. I was in San Pedro a few years back making dance videos to Chris Brown "Run It" and recording tracks with a computer eye camera with my nephew and a friend. When it came time to save the recordings, I needed a nickname. So we sat there untill "Slick D" was created and from there on I told myself I will make this name famous.

Beatwize: What made you want to pursue music professionally? And what made you fall into hip-hop?
SLik d: I really wanted to do this professionally when I realized its a possibility and there is money that can come my way for just making good music. I dont know about you, but I want to grow up to wake up and have fun everyday as my life long job. Then I can die happy like everyone else who is living their goals. And I fell into hip hop when I moved out here to Vegas and a homie of mine now added me on MySpace. At the time i had no tracks out and I was listening to his music everyday thinking this could be me on the remix. Soon after I stumbled across more artists on his top and found Audio Ink. I downloaded "The Madbhonism Vol.1" and after that i told myself this where I belong. But it doesnt stop me from going into different genres. I'm a guy of good music that appreciates most art forms.

Beatwize: You're still pretty young, do you think that holds you back from the industry a bit more or is it just a small obstacle in the bigger picture?
SLik d: Funny thing is im turning 18 on the 14th and people still say i look 16. Haha. It doesnt phase me at all. If Bow Wow can do it then why in the world cant I. If anything age shouldnt matter now because im out of high school basically becoming a man. So I should be viewed as one,or at least a young man. Music is timeless, so dont trip about my age.

Beatwize: Good to hear you don't let it phase you. Any other projects you'll be working on? As in a main role or guest role?
SLik d: As of now, I have no projects going on; but I got a view of what i want my next project to be. I would speak about it but I like to do it first then let people know about it so I'm not letting anyone down. Actions over words, man. But I do want to feature on a lot of tracks for now while I'm still in the zone. But these people have to be of a equal or greater value of me. Not sayin I wont collab with people who just started, but I would just have to see if they want it as much as me first. I'm trying to be on everyones Ipods and Zunes so hopefully people understand my reasons.

Beatwize: What can we expect from SLik d in the next few years? What are your goals for the future?
SLik d: Album. Full tracks of nothing but slikity goodness. Pressed and released by a strong label or supporter. More shows. And hopefully my own blogspot and short clips in HD. I like to make little movies. They inspire me so i might as well give back to the people.

Beatwize: Thanks and good luck to you in the future. I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot more from you soon enough!
SLik d: Thanks, Beatwize! Good look on the interview and everyone reading this make sure to check out other posts on this page. Good shit. Lets make it happen. Haha!

0 comments: